IngredientsFor the Cake
- 150g Plain flour
- 150g Unsalted Butter
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 Zest of Lemon
For Lemon Drizzle
- 4 tbsp Caster Sugar
- Lemon Juice of 1 Lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/ gas 4. Grease and line the loaf (8 x 20cm) with baking paper and line it with a little over hang on the length sides of the tin. (It is easy for you to pull the cake out later)
- Sift together flour and baking powder in a bowl then put in lemon zest and use a fork or whisk the combine. Set aside.
- Use the wooden spoon to beat the butter in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy then you add in the caster sugar and continue beating until the sugar is fully combine without the sandy texture when you leaf the spoon up. (This way by beating butter first before you adding sugar will soften the cake and make the cake much moist)
- In the same bowl add the eggs one at a time, beat until fully combine.
- Use a metal spoon and fold in the flour, make sure incorporate the air into batter. Do not over flour.
- Pour the batter into the greased and lined loaf tin, using rubber spatula and spread it around especially to the corner of the loaf, try to push the batter slightly higher on the sides of tin, like making a rectangular well. (The reason, usually the middle of cake will rise before the sides of the cake does) Bake it for 20 – 25 minutes
- While the cake is in the oven. You can make the lemon drizzle. Squeeze the whole lemon into saucepan and discard the seeds, and add in the sugar and heat it up until the sugar is fully dissolve and lemon released its citrus aroma is only takes 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
- When the cake is come out from the oven, insert the cake with skewer into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Prick the warm cake with fork, then pour the drizzle onto the cake, the juice will sink into the cake and keep it moist and sugar will have a lovely crisp topping.
- After the cake been in the tin for 20 minutes then you can remove the cake together with the baking paper and leave it to cool on rack completely.
- Well keep in air-tight container for 3 to 4 days, freeze it up to 1 month.