Herewith another fabulous recipe from Rachel Khoo, I loved the way she cooking French food and I had tried it is very easy. French were well know about the love affair with their food. This is a Classic French recipe with new twist by putting in a muffin tin instead of the classic way of sandwich it. Most of bars and bistro will serve Croque Monsieur which basically is toasted cheese and ham sandwich. Put a fried egg on top became Croque madame as it look like a lady’ hat.
- 6 large slice of white bread, cut off the crusts
- 3 tbsps melted butter
- 75 g ham, cut into cubes or thin strips
- 6 small eggs
For Mornay Sauce
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 200 ml milk lukewarm
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 30 g grated Gruyère or mature Comté cheese (or a strong hard cheese like Parmesan or mature Cheddar)
- Salt and pepper
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the flour and beat hard until smooth paste. Take off the heat and let it cool for 2 minutes. Then gradually add the milk, whisking constantly.
- Place back the pan back onto medium heat, add mustard and nutmeg and simmer gently for 10 minutes, whisking frequently to stop the sauce burning on the bottom of the pan.
- Once the sauce thickens and has the consistency of a tomato sauce, take off the heat, add cheese (keep a little for garnish) and taste for seasoning. If sauce is too thick, add a little milk, if is lumpy pass it through a sieve.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Flatten the slices of bread with rolling pin, then brush each slice on both sides with melted butter.
- Line a 6-hole muffin tin with the slices of bread, pressing them in with small glass. Divide the ham between the muffins follwed by the eggs. Put 2 tablespoons of cheese sauce on top of each egg, then sprinkle with little cheese and pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on how runny youlike the egg. Serve immediately.
This light snack delights me. You could serve it with french fries or some salad on the side. Whichever you like it to be. I like it because it is very versatile and is one of my store cupboard dish.