Typically chocolate always give you the impression of dessert, something that sweet. The Dutch chocolate company had imposed that image into everyone. However, this wonderful author had changed my impression toward chocolate forever, thanks to Willie Harcourt-Cooze. I picked up one of his recipe and will love to give it a try, it may sound odd to add chocolate into savory. The flavour is really married well. Here is the recipe for your adventure with cacao.
- 100g dried porcini mushrooms
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 25g butter
- 250g Arborio rice
- 1 litre hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp finely grated 100% cacao
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Place the porcini mushrooms in a small heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and leave to soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry over a gentle heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the butter until melted, then stir in the rice.
- Tip in the porcini mushroom, along with their soaking liquid. Bring to a gentle simmer, strring continuously, until all the soaking liquid has been absorbed. Add a ladleful of hot stock and continue to simmer, stirring frequently, until the liquid has again been absorbed. Continue cooking, adding the stock and stirring in this way, until all the stock has been used up and the rice is plump and tender.
- Finally, stir in the cacao, season with salt and black pepper to taste and serve with grated Parmesan sprinkle over the top.
The most honest opinion about this apart from the strong bitter cacao that really wonderful with the note of earthy taste to it, likewise with the porcini mushroom. I do suggest to use a bit of thyme to garnish on top. It did settle both strong flavour because of the aromatic of the thyme. This kind of dish as is does look like Chinese porridge, I am wondering does all these food culture related once a upon a time? That will be very interesting subject to find out too.