This little French petit four named visitation, I loved the idea of this little cake. As its name Visitandines (Visitation) the visit of Mary with Elizabeth as recorded in the Gospel of Luke. I have no idea what is this petit fours to do with that; but for me I take it as visiting gift to a friend, is a good idea for a visit instead of empty hands.
- 125 g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 5 egg whites
- 125 g plain flour, sifted
- 250 g caster sugar
- 100 g ground almonds
- Grated zest of half lemon
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/ 325ºF/ Gas Mark 3.
- Grease 10 cm (4-inch) barquette moulds with butter.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, almonds, lemon zest and softened butter.
- In a separated bowl, whisk the egg white to soft peaks with an electric whisk, (I like to use hand whisk with cooper bowl it works like magic) then slowly fold into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into prepared tins. Bake for 30 minutes.
I loved it simply because it is easy to make, is best as small bite during tea time. Hope you going to enjoy this little petit four. Bon appétit.